- Define Documentary
i. “Based on or re-creating an actual event, era, life story, etc., that purports to be factually accurate and contains no fictional elements.”
- Manipulate and cut footage to create what sells
i. Jersey Shore example
- Jill Godmillow “Pornography of the Reel
i. Define Pornography
- “Pornography is the objectifying of a graphic image turning it from a subject into an object, so that the thing or person depicted can be commodified, circulated, and consumed without regard to its status as a subject.”
ii. Jersey Shore Example
- Documentaries always come from a point of view
- Political, economic, social factors
- Stigma that documentaries are absolute truth
i. Outside of Hollywood blockbuster genre
- Can’t fully represent something
i. Example of the photograph
- Is Documentary Filmmaking Ethical?
- Need consent for people, brands, etc.
i. Filmmakers are not always honest about their intentions
ii. Exploiting the individual
- Calvin Pryluck “Ultimately We Are All Outsiders”
i. “What is the boundary between society’s right to know and the individual’s right to be free of humiliation, shame, and indignity?”
ii. Intimidation factor of camera/ crews
What do you know about documentary film ethics? Well be prepared to delve into the wild world of documentaries and reality TV! We’re going to look at how footage is obtained, how it’s edited, and why any of this matters to us. Is reality TV really real?
We have created an email account and emailed the contact person for Urban Nutrition Initiative, but no one has responded to our email.
We began to analyze the social media they already use, and they have a website, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, blog, YouTube channel and Picasa account.
It’s great that they have all of these social media outlets, however they are not utilizing them to the extent that they should be. Also it is confusing that they have more than one blog site, when they should just have one.
My group and I were able have our first choice for our Beautiful Social project which is the Urban Nutrition Initiative or UNI.
“The Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative (UNI) is a program of University of Pennsylvania’s Netter Center for Community Partnerships to address issues of poor nutrition and physical fitness in West Philadelphia. UNI’s activities are fully integrated into the university-assisted community school model. UNI organizes school day, after school and summer learning opportunities for more than 10,000 students and their families at 20 public schools in Philadelphia. UNI’s ecological approach to nutrition education includes hands-on experiences for students to grow, cook, consume and sell healthy foods. UNI has in-school“Eat Right Now” programs and “UNI Youth Development” programs.”
We’re really excited to help UNI increase their social media presence because we think they have a great program and goal. We also think that social media is a fantastic outlet for UNI since their target audience is teens.
Because of this video experience in this class..
- I’ve gotten better at editing footage with iMovie
- I’m more aware of camera angles and how they can enhance the feel of a video
- I’ve realized how hard it can be to coordinate group meetings around everyone’s schedule, and make sure everyone is on the same page
Woke up and checked phone for messages/ emails
Read through emails
Went on Asos and Zara on iPhone
Checked Twitter and Facebook
Looked at Daily Deals for Groupon and Living Social
Text from Lord and Taylor about a Sale
Went on lordandtaylor.com
Itunes/ YouTube Whitney Houston
Kayak app to look up flights
WebMD baby app