The major themes we decided to cover were:
- Mind games/ Competition
- Sleeplessness/ (In)Sanity
- Mind Games: There is a man who cannot figure out what to eat on his next break, and Benny attempts to get in his head by saying he knows exactly what he wants to eat and if you don’t know what to eat that means you’re losing it.
- Sleeplessness/ (In)Sanity: Benny tells the story of watching his son and another boy throw a baseball and he said he could see the trace of the ball as it was being thrown.
- Camaraderie: He tells the man next to him not to give up and that if it comes down to the two of them, Benny would take his hand off the car and let this guy win because he needs it more. When the man tried to give up Benny grabbed his hand and slapped it back on the car.
- Mind Games: “You’re standing next to the Devil and you’re riding the road to Hell. I’ll stand there ’til ya die, you might as well quit now.”
- Sleeplessness/ (In)Sanity: “They say it’s about stamina, but it’s who can maintain their sanity the longest, that’s what it comes down to.”
- Camaraderie: “It’s like the guys that come back from the space program, they’ve got a camaraderie that they share; it’s a closeness that nobody else can really understand, because they had been in space.”
I think it is really important to capture the essence of who Benny is, for the reader’s sake. I would probably add his quote about wearing the tightest jeans he could find, and the quote comparing the car contest to shooting his first deer.